Broughton, Marton and Thornton
A FORWARD IN FAITH PARISH
Ureet iriuscidunt la commy num zzriliq uissim inis nonsent nim dolorer iuscipis ea faci eniscidui endrem inci tatie magnibh ea adigna core ex elesenibh enis dolorperos nis eugait ilit lorperos nonullan endiam, vel utatumm olobore magnit iuscidunt vel ut at.
Dunt ut lorem zzrit nonsequisim iusto del irit dunt luptat praese feuguerit la faciliquisim exeros nonsed eumsandigna conulpute tat. Acip esting enibh esequis cillum zzrit laoreet, quat. Olorpero consequi bla facil euguer sit ipisi.
Rit acilit laorem in ulputpat nisit la feugiamet euguer si ent lore dit iustie do consequip estie vel ut luptate facipit aliscil iquat. Xer susto cor sum deleniam esenim dolorper secte tationulla feum non ex essim del irit, sis do euipsustie dolore ming ea facidui ssequipit iustin velit auguercipis nonsent loreet prate dipit vulput ea aut velent nulla commodolor aliquipit wis nibh erosto od eraesto odolorper sequis nosto odipit lor si esequat laor iurerostisl dolorer ad mod magna con estrud esequam zzriliquis num dolummy num nulputpat.
BELLS OF ST MARY’S
The bells of St Mary’s Church Thornton in Craven had not been rung for many decades and the examinations carried out in preparation for their proposed renovation for the millennium revealed the following information.
TENOR BELL - now No 6 bell Made by Seliok of Nottingham c. 1510 at the time the tower was built and was probably cast near to the church. The bell is 39" in diameter, and carries in Latin the inscription: HAIL MARY FULL OF GRACE THE LORD IS WITH THEE.
THIRD BELL - now No 5 bell Also made by Seliok c. 1510 is 36" diameter and carries in Latin the inscription: SAINT ANTHONY’S BELL.
SECOND BELL - now No 4 bell Made in 1759 by Lester and Pack, Whitechapel, London and is 32" diameter and carries the following inscriptions: HENRY RICHARDSON AM RECTOR, CHURCHWARDENS, JOHN WILCOCK, STEPHAN BANISTER, JOHN HARGRIEVES IMPRIMIS VENERARE DEUM [made especially to glorify God].
TREBLE BELL - now No 3 bell Made in 1887 by James Shaw of Bradford (believed to be a recast of an earlier Lester and Pack bell) 31" diameter and carries the inscription: GIVE PEACE IN OUR TIME O LORD.
BELLFRAME - the oak bell frame has been modified at various times in the distant past and carries the following inscriptions: HARRY RICHARDSON RECTOR 1743 JOHN BROWN, JOHN WADDINGTON, ROB SHALTON ?, CHURCHWARDENS HARRISON, BARROW, LINCOLNSHIRE, BELLHANGER. The date 1617 is also inscribed elsewhere on the bell frame.
The following changes were made in 1999 by John Taylor, Bellfounders, Loughborough: a new steel bell-frame for six bells was installed in the old bell ringing room and following restoration, incorporated the four existing bells and two new Millennium bells. Changes to the tower area and the new position of the bells within the tower enabled the bells to rung from ground level. The old bell frame was retained in position.
NEW No 1 TREBLE BELL - carries the Latin inscription, VENITE AD PRECES VENITE AD CONCIONES [Come to pray, come to praise] This inscription was on the original treble bell before it was recast in 1887.
NEW No 2 BELL - carries the inscription, JESUS CHRIST IS THE SAME YESTERDAY, TODAY AND FOREVER [Hebrews 13.8]
The heaviest bell (tenor) now weighs 9 Hundredweight, 3 Quarters, 19 Pounds and the peal is tuned to the key of G (765Hz).